Wednesday 31 August 2011

He's black!

First day of Notting Hill Carnival, seen from perspective of a rickshaw rider, was nice and easy. In comparison with last year there were much fewer people around. Recent riots on streets of London might had been the cause. Monday was different. The whole area swarmed. One could see many more Police officers around. Standing on top of a hill I was waiting for potential customers to take them to a tube station near by. Crowd around me was peaceful and in majority very friendly. Every now and then groups of hustlers could be seen too. At some point a black couple, both in their forties, asked me for a lift. As they got on my trike a number of black youths approached me. Some of them started to shout: "Big man! Give us a lift!" They saw my customer then. "He's black!" - they cheered loudly and walked away...

No comments:

Post a Comment