Monday 27 September 2010

A perfect worker

I started quite early that night. Getting through Oxford St. I saw that guy, just standing on the corner with Dean St. which was shut to the traffic on that end, due to constructing new Tottenham Court Rd. tube station. So he was basically standing alone, black clad and by the way rather smartly dressed. I stopped and asked whether he was looking for any place to have a drink at or if he needed any directions etc. He said he was good and I just moved on. I recall seeing him standing there once o twice more as I kept going in circles. Nevertheless I was really surprised to see him there still, several hours later. It was around 4am. The streets were already pretty empty and I simply couldn't believe my eyes. I stopped there again and exclaimed: "Unbelievable! You've been standing here all night!" He smiled shyly and protested weakly. "Come on! I've seen you!" I didn't give up. "Are you lost or something? Feeling unhappy?" "No!" He laughed and show me the nearby construction site with his hand. "I work for them..." We wished each other a good night and I moved on, laughing to myself like a village idiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment