Wednesday 1 December 2010

I respect your hustle!

Every now and then somebody shouts at me: "Find yourself a real job!" Obviously he walks away quickly while saying it... Many people also refuse to seat "on that thing". I remember once two guys asked me for directions but they didn't know London at all. Very politely I intended to explain to them where was that place they wanted to get to but it was quite hopeless. I offered them a lift then. One of them wouldn't mind, but the other just said loutishly: "I'm not getting on that fucking thing!!!" "Well, fuck off then!" - I advised him eagerly. I smile every time I remind myself the face he pulled while leaving.
On another occasion a customer invited me to join him when getting in a stripbar. One of the bouncers tried to stop him saying: "C'mon! What are you doing! The rickshawriders are just a bunch of punks!"
One night I was stopped by a very posh company. They asked me to take two ladies (likely girlfriends of some of them) to a very expensive hotel. Nobody asked me about price. One of guys gave a acouple of notes to women. As I arrived ladies asked me how much was the lift. Wondering what was gonna happen I said that it was up to them and... I was given a fiver. Very disappointed I told that story to Guiseppe (a very, very experienced rider), later on. He laughed and said: "You see, people give you as much money as they think you look like. Clearly you look like £5!"
One very cold winter night I was cycling through Wardour Street. It was snowing. A guy saw me and exclaimed: "You are a man! I Respect your hustle! You are a big man!" I felt proud, as usual when somebody r e s p e c t e d m y h u s t l e ;~)

No comments:

Post a Comment