Sunday 25 July 2010

Soldier's pride

I started early that day. After a couple of hours I wanted to get a break. There's a 24h Tesco Express by Russel Sq. station. I went there, bought some food and parked around a corner. As I was eating I saw two guys, about forty years old, who were clearly looking for something. I just wanted to eat and rest a bit, so I was hoping they would not see me. They saw me all right. "Mate! How much to take us to a nearest kebab shop?" I explained that they should go either to Leicester Sq. or Kings Cross and that it would cost them £5 per person, either way too. "We give you £15 to take us to Kings Cross and then back to Generator." I politely said that I'd rather stay there and rest. One of them didn't like it at all. "Yesterday we came back from Afghanistan, you know?" "Well, that's your job. And this is my job." "But you are not doing anything at the moment!" "Ok! If you give me some more money, let say £9 each, I'll take you to Kings Cross, wait for you and then take you to your hostel." "No! We can give you only £15!" "Then I will stay here." "We'll give you £8 to take us to Kings Cross then, and later we will take a cab to Generator." I still had a large piece of mozzarella in my hand and its bag wasn't resealable. I quietly said I would do it only for a tenner. Finally he walked off, pretty offended.

No comments:

Post a Comment