Monday 10 May 2010

Like a tin of beans

Light just turned red. Me and a fellow rider, we had to stop in the corner of Ruppert St. and Shaftsbury Ave. That very moment we were approached by two lads. "All right!" - exclaimed one of them - "one pound to go to 101!" We ignored him completely. "Two pounds to go to 101!" was his next bid. Another rider was gone without a word. I looked the opposite direction. "This one`s got bigger legs!" - observed the older lad, the one who remained silent so far. The first one kept bidding: "We give you a fiver, if you take us to 101!" "You are very generous" - was my answer - "and I really appreciate that! However, I`d rather stay here - obviously if you don`t mind!" The older one looked at his mate: "He`s more English than both of us together!" He addressed me then:
"What would be a reasonable price for us to go to 101 Kitchen?" "I take you for eight quid." "Eight quid for both of us. It`s up to you!" - he looked at the bidder who didn`t protest, then he produced a tenner and asked me if I had two pounds change. He took it from me before handing out the note.
"You`ve got a very good cockney accent!" - the bidder spoke again. "Thank you! I`ve been practising..." "Let me tell you something! If someone gives you trouble just tell him: I will open you up like a tin of beans!" I smiled and showed him my rickshaw: "Would you like to take a seat?" He was about to say something more but the older one frowned and asked him: "Would you like to take a seat?" I moved quickly and soon we got to the lounge. "Thank you governor!" - the younger shook my hand. "This is for you!" - the one who payed before passed me a two pound coin. I wished them a good night, moved a bit down the road, then stopped and stuck down on a scrap of paper: "I will open you up like a tin of beans!" LOL

1 comment:

  1. I like your sense of humor, Dominik. You managed to reverse the situation in a very elegant fashion!

    ReplyDelete