Monday 8 March 2010

A garbage truck or a broken bumper

It` a real nuisance when there`s a garbage truck in front of you, in one of the narrow streets of Soho. Immediately you get trapped with some cars in front of you having some more of them behind you... The only thing you can do is to pray for patience. You can also curse loudly. The result is the same. No escape. Even if you loose your temper, it`s still all right. The situation gets much worse when that thing happens to the driver in front of you. Let him hoot and honk as much as he likes. The real problem starts when he fancies to reverse...
Once I got stuck like that in Frith Street. The sanitation engineers were doing a great job, but for the guy in front of me that was no good enough. After a good deal of abusing his horn, quite unexpectedly for anybody, me being on the top of that list, he backed up as blithely as it gets.
His flashy rear bumper, apparently made of a flexible plastic, got over my pedal and presently was very firmly attached to my trike. I got pretty scared but soon I realised that nothing actually happend to my rickshaw. The champion in front of me finaly realised, that there was something behind him. Proving his brightness, at least for the second time that evening, he moved on forward. That had an immediate effect on his bumper that got nicely torn away. It was a weekend and the car was full of young people who obviously came to West End to party. The driver hastily got out of the car shouting insults. He saw his bumper on the floor and the same minute he spotted a police car parked a bit further down the road. The officers were sipping their cofee, standing around it. That cooled him down a bit. Especially because I could easily tell that he was on drugs. He came to me and said quickly: "I`ve got no problem with what just happened to my car. Has anything happen to your bike?" Fortunately nothing was wrong with it. We shaked our hands. The garbage truck moved on...

1 comment: