Saturday 6 March 2010

PER PERSON???!!!

"- A lift guys?
- You are too expensive! We can not afford you..."
This is a very frequent answer to my question. Usually we charge more than taxies, that`s the truth. Especially since they (thanks God for that) have forbidden any engines at all. Without any electric assist all the riders pedal the same. I think it`s just. I also think that we deserve good fares for our hard work. Although some people try to treat us like animals, we are neither a horses nor anything else of this kind. I`m sure it`s fair enough - you take a rickshaw, you enjoy a good service, within West End you move much quicker then any cab (not to mention buses) cause you don`t get stuck in a traffic. You take a rickshaw and you love it cause it`s fun. It is a great experience! That`s why many people take one even if they go places a bit more distant like Euston or Kings Cross, Old Street, Liverpool Street, London Bridge or Borough, Waterloo, Victoria, Sloane Square or Knightsbridge, South Ken, Gloucester Rd, High Street Kensington, Notting Hill Gate, Paddington, Edgware Rd, Baker Street... The most distant place I`ve ever been to with customers is Tooting Broadway and let me tell you - me and the customers, we enjoyed that enormously! Obviously the further you go the more you pay. I strongly recommend to agree the price beforehand. That leaves no space for any misunderstandings. One more very important thing: we charge per person. Very often when I say that I hear: "Are you for real?!", "You are having a laugh/a bubble/a giraffe!", "You are a fucking mental, mate!" etc. Well, so be it but what would you do, if you were to pedal? Probably the same, I guess. Still, nobody forces anybody else to travel in style i.e. to hire a pedicab. Everyone who have tried it though, knows it`s worth every penny.
Anyway, a little bit of skepticism adds some spice to the whole thing.
Once two guys have stopped me next to Imax Cinema by Waterloo Bridge. They`ve asked me about the price, naming quite a distant destination. My message was simple - "the damage" would be significant. "How much?!" - one of them couldn`t believe it. I said that again. "Does it include the drugs you are on, mister?" - was his next question.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha "Does it include the drugs you are on, mister?" That's new for me! Well, there's another quotation very frequently heard "You must be fit"! Yeah, one must be to go all the way to Tooting Broadway. I lived on Tooting Bec and that's a long journey.

    ReplyDelete