Monday 1 March 2010

Talking about Jesus

I remember this manic street preacher. People used to say that he was an excentric millionaire. On every busy night he used to perform in the middle of Piccadilly Circus talking through his bullhorn. I could never make out much of what he was saying, except for this favorite phrase of his. He kept repeating over and over again: "You can be a sinner or a winner!". I guess he is definitely a winner by now, cause he stopped showing his face around.
Every now and then "Jesus Army" strikes around West End. They park they surplus doubledecker next to Leicester Square and they send around patrols of their members dressed in a sort of camouflage jackets. They wear those bright red, rubber crosses on their chests. Once I had a doubptful pleasure to talk with their leader. Very seriously he pointed out to me that I should stop chasing after silver and gold. He also try to convince me that I should join their "community" where all my needs would be surely met... Another time I got besieged by two very young girls from his sect. We had a little "theological" chat that immediately prooved their absolute ignorance on a Christian faith. Seeing what I`m dealing with I just agreed with them in every aspect. Encouraged by this succes they decided to pray for me. To do that properly they asked my name. Out of pure contrariness I didn`t want to reveal it. To my surprise that made`em quite angry. They reproached: "How can we pray for you not knowing your name?!"
One night another guy approached me. First I thought he was after some change but apparently he wanted to talk about Jesus. "Do you acknowledge that He is a son of God an that He died on the cross for our sins?" I totally acknowledged that. It seemed like he didn`t expect it. "Look!" - a bit confused he reached his pocket. "This is..." - he produced a small sachet of ketchup. He looked at the kechtup and blinked fiercely. He got confused a bit more. Our eyes met and we smiled...

1 comment:

  1. There are three subjects that never end up in agreement between people from different points of view: politics, religion and football! Just a wast of time insist on that.

    ReplyDelete